MATLAB for Everyone
What is MATLAB?
The MATLAB high-performance language for technical computing integrates computation, visualization, and programming in an easy-to-use environment where problems and solutions are expressed in familiar mathematical notation.
University of Virginia has a Total Academic Headcount License for MATLAB, Simulink and several add-on products.UVa has recently upgraded our Matlab license so that Matlab is available to everyone at UVa. There is one version of Matlab for students, faculty, and staff. MATLAB is available on the Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux platforms. To get started go to: UVa ITS Matlab Page
Toolboxes are unlimited, and are as follows:
- Bioinformatics Toolbox
- Communications System Toolbox
- Computer Vision System Toolbox
- Control System Toolbox
- Curve Fitting Toolbox
- DSP System Toolbox
- Data Acquisition Toolbox
- Database Toolbox
- Econometrics Toolbox
- Financial Toolbox
- Fixed-Point Designer
- Fuzzy Logic Toolbox
- Global Optimization Toolbox
- HDL Verifier
- Image Acquisition Toolbox
- Image Processing Toolbox
- Instrument Control Toolbox
- MATLAB Coder
- MATLAB Compiler
- MATLAB Compiler SDK
- MATLAB Report Generator
- Mapping Toolbox
- Model Predictive Control Toolbox
- Neural Network Toolbox
- Optimization Toolbox
- Parallel Computing Toolbox
- Partial Differential Equation Toolbox
- Robotics System Toolbox
- Robust Control Toolbox
- Signal Processing Toolbox
- Simscape Driveline
- Simscape Electronics
- Simscape Fluids
- Simscape Multibody
- Simscape Power Systems
- Simulink 3D Animation
- Simulink Coder
- Simulink Control Design
- Simulink Design Optimization
- Simulink Real-Time
- Simulink Report Generator
- Statistics and Machine Learning Toolbox
- Symbolic Math Toolbox
- System Identification Toolbox
- Wavelet Toolbox
Deployment for Individuals
The Individual license should be used by students, faculty, and staff to download an individual stand-alone copy of the software for each of the machines on which they are the sole MATLAB user (includes university-owned and personal machines).The MATLAB Portal is where end users can download MATLAB, get free training, contact support, and discover additional resources.
- Go to the UVa ITS Matlab Page and read the DATA PROTECTION SECTION, and then click the “Get Matlab” button
- When you get to the MATLAB Portal select ‘Sign in to get started’ under the Get MATLAB and Simulink
- Log into your MathWorks account that is associated to your University license. (Note – you will be asked to login using NetBadge and your UVa credentials).
- Click the download button for the current release. (Users can also download previous releases here).
- Choose a supported platform and download the installer
- Run the installer.
- In the installer, select Log in with a MathWorks Account and follow the online
- When prompted to do so, select the Academic – Total Headcount license labeled Individual.
- Select the products you want to download and
- After downloading and installing your products, keep the Activate MATLAB checkbox selected and click Next.Follow the prompts to activate
- *Note– Detailed installation instructions can be also found in the link below: How do I install MATLAB? https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/answers/98886
Learning to use Matlab
Everyone at UVa has access to the entire Matlab Academy, which is a suite of on-line self-paced courses. They can be accessed on the Matlab Portal under “Get Free Access to On-Line Courses”.
- MATLAB for Data Processing and Visualization: Create custom visualizations and automate your data analysis tasks
- MATLAB Programming Techniques:Improve the robustness, flexibility, and efficiency of your MATLAB code
- MATLAB for Financial Applications: Learn MATLAB for financial data analysis and modeling
- Solving Nonlinear Equations with MATLAB: Use root finding methods to solve nonlinear equations
- Solving Ordinary Differential Equations with MATLAB: Use MATLAB ODE solvers to numerically solve ordinary differential equations
- Introduction to Linear Algebra with MATLAB: Use matrix methods to solve systems of linear equations and perform eigenvalue decomposition
- Introduction to Statistical Methods with MATLAB: Get started quickly with basic descriptive statistics and data fitting
If you have questions or need assistance, please email Research Software Support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you experience trouble installing or connecting to the Matlab installation service contact MathWorks technical support contact information at 508-647-7000 option 3 or send email to email@example.com.