Data Management Planning Support
Are you writing a grant proposal? Most Federal and many private funding agencies now require a Data Management Plan (or DMP; also called a Data Sharing Plan, or an Archiving Plan) as part of the proposal. We can help with that! We’ll walk you through the components of a DMP for your sponsoring agency and help you identify resources. Email us at email@example.com to get started.
Or try the DMPTool, an online application that helps researchers create effective data management plans. The Data Management Plan Tool (DMPTool) provides an easy to use interface that:
- Helps users create ready-to-use data management plans for specific funding agencies
- Meets funder requirements for data management plans
- Provides step-by-step instructions and guidance for how to manage data
- Provides information about resources and services available at your institution to help fulfill the data management requirements of your grant
As a UVa DMPTool user, researchers use NetBadge and their UVa computing id to access the DMPTool. The tool provides links to local UVa resources for guidance and help while developing your DMP. Users of the DMPTool can view sample plans, preview funder requirements, and view the latest changes to their plans. The tool permits the user to create an editable document for submission to a funding agency and can accommodate different versions as funding requirements change.
We’re delighted to announce a successful launch of DMPTool version 3 today. This milestone represents the convergence of the two most popular data management planning tools—US-based DMPTool and UK-based DMPonline—into a single, internationalized platform. We plan to bring the many other installations of the tool in Canada, Australia, South Africa, Argentina, and throughout Europe along for the ride as we work together to make DMPs a more useful exercise for everyone!
Currently the DMPTool supports 226 institutions and more than 28,000 users worldwide. The new DMPTool retains all of the existing functionality plus some handy new things, all in a shiny new package:
- Up-to-date Funder requirements (34 templates and more to come…)
- A searchable list of participating institutions with & without single sign-on
- New user interface with streamlined plan writing pages
- Website translations coming soon (Spanish, French, German, Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese, contact us to contribute another language!)
- Quick-start guide for creating a DMP (downloadable pdf coming soon)
- General data management guidance
- DMPTool Blog is the best way to find out about changes in the tool.
- GitHub is the home of the Roadmap-based version of the DMPTool.
- RIO Journal whitepaper on Machine-actionable data management plans (maDMPs)
Interested in machine-actionable DMPs? DataONE has a recent webinar that discusses them.