What is SAS?
The SAS System is an integrated suite of software for information delivery and analysis. Applications of the SAS System include executive information systems; data entry, retrieval, and management; report writing and graphics; statistical and mathematical analysis; business planning, forecasting, and decision support; operations research and project management; statistical quality improvement; computer performance evaluation; and applications development. SAS is very powerful and is particularly useful for dealing with large data sets.
Faculty, staff and students at the University of Virginia may access SAS through public computers with the UVa software build on them, via the UVa Hive, or by installing SAS on your own computer. Please note: SAS will NOT install properly on any version of Windows “Home”. To determine if you have a “Home” operating system, please do the following:
- Find the Computer information area off the Start Menu, on the right hand side about halfway down the menu
- Right click on the Computer area
- Select Properties, the last entry on the menu that pops up with the right click
- The Windows edition is the first piece of information that will appear on the screen
- If the word Home appears here, you need to upgrade to a more robust Windows version. You may do this in one of several ways-
- Go to Cavalier Computers and tell them that you need to upgrade to Windows Professional or Enterprise
- Look on your Start Menu to see if you have an entry above “Accessories” that is entitled Windows Anytime Upgrade (not Update— you want UpGRADE). That will take you to Microsoft where you can purchase an upgrade for less than $60.
- Go directly to Microsoft to upgrade your Windows
To get SAS on your computer, you can download SAS from the UVa Software store, or you may pick up a thumb drive with the program files loaded on it from the Library Data Commons @Curry, 302 Ruffner Hall. If you choose to download SAS from UVa Software please make sure you are either on-Grounds, or have a very dependable wireless connection. The file is currently over 21 GB, and can take literally hours to download.
The current version of SAS is 9.4. There are several flavors of SAS from which to choose, but each version of SAS has a unique license file that will only work with the corresponding version of SAS you have installed.
- Teaching & Research (T&R) version or Administration (Admin) version
- Teaching & Research (T&R) can be used by students, faculty and staff for coursework, classroom instruction, and academic (noncommercial) research. Most normal researchers and students qualify for this version. This is the ONLY version of SAS that may be put on personally-owned computers
- Administration (Admin) is limited to faculty and staff executing the business of the university and may NOT be put on personally-owned computers
- 32-or 64-bit. See instructions, above, related to finding out your Windows OS
- Version 9.3 is available if you have code that is locked to that version
For help installing SAS 9.4 for 64-bit Windows, please follow the directions found here: SAS94_Installation
SAS for Universities to Use SAS on Mac OS
Users who work on Mac OS may now install SAS for Universities on their Mac. SAS University Edition Installation Instructions for Mac.
Renewing Your SAS License
- Go to http://its.virginia.edu/software/displayPackages.php?tId=12
- click on your SAS version under Available Versions
- Under GET IT, click “Get from UVa Software”; this should open a page in a new tab that will require you to log in with Netbadge.
- At the top of the page click on “Your Account/Orders”
- Under your Order History click on the SAS product you want to renew
- Click the “Start Download” button in the header of the Items box
- Click the green download button for the SID only option and download the file; it should be a TXT file.
- To renew your SAS version, go to Start — All Programs — SAS and find the Renew SAS Software program. Click it and follow the prompts. Note: You may need administrator access to your computer for the renewal to work.
Questions about SAS may be answered by contacting Research Software Support.
SAS for Linux
SAS is also available for Linux on the UVa Software Store. You may download it from there, or you may pick up a thumb drive with the program files loaded on it from the Library Data Commons @Curry, 302 Ruffner Hall.