The White House Office of Science & Technology Policy mandated in February, 2013 that all federal agencies with an Research and Development budget greater than $100 million must devise a plan for providing access to research publications and data created by grant funding. Director John Holden’s memorandum provides the details for the policy.
Federal funders have varying requirements for data management plans, and almost all of them have a data sharing policy. Many agencies have subdivisions that have additional requirements. Private funders also are beginning to implement data sharing requirements. The following list provides links to each agency home page, and to their data management plan requirements and data sharing policies as indicated. Given our experience working with researchers in many areas, we often have a good sense of what is expected from many agencies and tracks within those agencies.
- National Science Foundation (NSF): NSF requires that all proposals include a data management plan in the form of a two-page supplementary document. NSF Data Sharing Policy.
- Department of Energy (DOE):
- National Institutes of Health (NIH): Data Sharing Policy
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH): General Terms and Conditions for Awards (for awards issued May 2009 or later)
- Office of Digital Humanities (ODH): All proposals require a DMP. Depending on tier, they may require a Sustainability Plan. The required information is found in the funding solicitation guidelines.
- Division of Preservation and Access: Proposals don’t require a DMP, but can include one. Use the guidance provided by ODH. Depending on tier, they may require a Dissemination Plan and a Sustainability Plan. The required information is indicated in the funding solicitation guidelines. Refer to part 2 – Preparing and Organizing your application – part 3 Narrative – the sections on Methodology and standards, Evaluation and sustainability, and Dissemination and intended audiences.
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA): Data and Information Policy and Data Rights and Related Issues. All proposals require a DMP which has a 4000 character limit, including spaces. Additional information is available from the Data Management Plans in the NRA and CAN Proposer’s Guidebook (2017), and each unit may have additional or different requirements in their NRA’s and CAN’s.
- National Institute of Justice (NIJ):
- Department of Transportation (DOT):
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA):
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- U.S. Department of Education – Institute of Education Sciences (IES): IES Policy Regarding Public Access to Research, Policy Statement on Public Access to Data Resulting from IES Funded Grants and Implementation Guide for Public Access to Research Data
- Department of Health and Human Services (HHS):
- Department of Defense (DOD):
- U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA):
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA):
- Smithsonian Institution: