Data Management Planning Support
Are you writing a grant proposal? Most Federal and many private funding agencies now require a Data Management Plan (or DMP; also called a Data Sharing Plan, or an Archiving Plan) as part of the proposal. We can help with that! We’ll walk you through the components of a DMP for your sponsoring agency and help you identify resources. Email us at email@example.com to get started.
Or try the DMPTool, an online application that helps researchers create effective data management plans. The Data Management Plan Tool (DMPTool) provides an easy to use interface that:
- Helps users create ready-to-use data management plans for specific funding agencies
- Meets funder requirements for data management plans
- Provides step-by-step instructions and guidance for how to manage data
- Provides information about resources and services available at your institution to help fulfill the data management requirements of your grant
As a UVa DMPTool user, researchers use NetBadge and their UVa computing id to access the DMPTool. The tool provides links to local UVa resources for guidance and help while developing your DMP. Users of the DMPTool can view sample plans, preview funder requirements, and view the latest changes to their plans. The tool permits the user to create an editable document for submission to a funding agency and can accommodate different versions as funding requirements change.
- The DMPTool and the UK counterpart, the DMPonline tool, are joining forces to create a single platform for all things DMP. They have two major goals: machine-actionable data management plans and a co-developed shared code base.
- Plan visibility settings. The language has been revised within the tool. Note that plans are no longer “private” by default. Users should choose a visibility setting at the beginning of the plan creation process. They will also be asked to confirm their choice at the end.
- Quick Start Guide and Help menu have been updated to reflect these changes.
- DMPTool Blog is the best way to find out about changes in the tool and news about the project.
- DMP Roadmap GitHub is the home of the roadmap wiki which includes the development roadmap, the developers guide, and how you can get involved in the project.
- RIO Journal whitepaper on Machine-actionable data management plans (maDMPs)